The Boys & Girls Clubs of Monterey County
is celebrating 50 years of Great Futures!
Since 1968, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Monterey County (BGCMC) have served over 30,000 members! The Clubs are proud to serve our community by providing 600 children and teens a day with award-wining programs and life-changing mentorships. And we have plenty in store for the next 50 years!
Thank you for partnering with us to change lives and build a safer, healthier and more educated community! There is much to celebrate!
Click the Video to Take a Virtual Tour and Meet our Members!
Did you know?
- The Clubs have logged over 2,200,000 member visits since 2002
- We serve over 100,000 healthy meals a year, including breakfast, lunch, and snack during the summer
- The Clubs provide over 86,000 hours of homework assistance annually
- Over the last two years we have helped 265 kids in math improve an average of half a grade level and complete 2,295 individualized lessons
- The Clubs offer college scholarship opportunities and have awarded $546,000 since 1996
Victor Marinelli was walking near his East Salinas home when he discovered our new Salinas Clubhouse — or what would be.
Victor was shocked – “I couldn’t believe there was this amazing place just for kids! Read more about Victor’s story here…
For Erika Matadamas, the Club is like a second home.
“It’s where I discovered my passions, where I learned the importance of a higher education. Most importantly, it’s where I learned to be myself, and believe in myself. I want to pass that on,” Erika says.
On the day she first walked into the Boys & Girls Club, Erika was 14, lonely, and homesick. Read more about Erika’s story here…
Meet Zuleyka. She’s 10. She’s not crazy about dresses, the color pink, or playing with dolls, but she loves to play basketball in our gym.
And now she loves to read. When she came to us, Zuleyka was a year behind grade level in her reading. Read more about Zuleyka’s story here…
Part of the community since 1968, The Boys & Girls Clubs of Monterey County (BGCMC) operates two Clubhouses, Seaside and Salinas, that serve an average of 500 children a day with high-quality programs provided by trained youth development professionals. Our staff and volunteers serve as trusted mentors and advocates for our youth, offering every child opportunities, expectations, recognition, and guidance in a safe and fun environment. Coupled with a focus on measurable outcomes, our formula for impact puts our mission into action.
Our Mission is to inspire and empower the youth of Monterey County to realize their full potential to become responsible, healthy, productive and successful citizens.
- 1968 – Club Founder, and U.S. Army Sergeant, Roosevelt Williams established the Boys Club of the Monterey Peninsula
- 1973 – Church purchased to serve as first Clubhouse
- 1985 – Board voted to include girls in the membership. Name changes to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Monterey Peninsula
- 1990 – Capital campaign launched to raise $2.1 million for a 22,000 square foot Clubhouse in Seaside
- 1994 – New Seaside Clubhouse opened
- 2000 – With a vision to expand to more locations, name is changed to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Monterey County
- 2001 – BGCMC becomes first club in the nation to establish a Science Center
- 2001 – $12 million capital campaign launched for new 44,000 square foot Salinas Clubhouse
- 2003 – New Salinas Clubhouse opened
- 2010 – The Clubs served 25,000 members since opening
- 2016 – The Clubs are awarded the Monterey County School Board Association’s “Excellence in Education Award”
- 2018 – The Clubs celebrate 50 years of service in Monterey County